It was pouring whole evening yesterday. My husband who works at a distance of fifteen minutes from our residence, reached home two hours late from his usual time. I completed all my chores on time,cooked,cleaned,cooked for baby,tidied up the messy house, folded laundry,fed baby and was waiting for husband to arrive so that we can have dinner together. The man of the house arrived,baby jumped out of his chair to see his daddy after a long day & ran towards him for that “hug” Well,this scenario is quite common in my house happens almost every alternate evening.
which I may not be able to become. Me as a mother is always stressed about either of the things,cooking, feeding,cleaning,groceries,sleeping or gossiping. But he has just two jobs, his work & his baby and I feel that’s what makes Daddy’ing fun for him. This father’s day I want to convey to all dad’s that they all are doing awesome job but if you feel you lack somewhere then please read on following points that will help you to say bring your fatherhood on track:
- Always put your kid’s interest first. Don’t always stress out for not been able to catch your favorite team’s soccer match live.Let your kid enjoy his part of screen time.Sit with him & watch the show together(Get a good internet connection to watch the match later)
- Be present whenever & where ever your child needs you. Take the time to put in extra care during those needy days, and don’t let other commitments get in the way
- Be present when child is achieving milestones. Be it his first step or first day at school
- Be protective to your kids. As a dad, one of your main roles is of a protector. There are many ways a dad does this,like child proofing home and teaching good safety habits
- Read to them.This is one of the most important things you can do for your child. First of all, it’s so much fun. Kids books are really interesting and it’s great when you can share something this wonderful with your child. Second, you are teaching them one of the most fundamentally important skills (reading) that will pay off dividends for life. And third, you are spending time with them, you’re sitting or lying close together, and you are enjoying each other’s company.
- Reward your children appropriately. Being a disciplinarian is not about punishing your children when they have made a mistake. It’s about rewarding them when they’ve done something good so that they’re encouraged and want to repeat the behavior.
- You don’t need to be perfect in order to become a good role model. In fact, it’s better if you’re not perfect and admit your mistakes in front of your kids because only then your children will see that nobody’s perfect and that everybody makes mistakes.
- Be good to the Mom. Help her in household chores.Stand by Mom. Don’t contradict her in front of the kids.Fighting or arguing can be done when kids are not around
- Plan trips with your kids, spending time outdoors help in developing a very good bond with kids
- Be good to yourself.You shouldn’t give up your entire life when you become a dad(I know this contradicts point No 1. But with little time management both things can be done very smoothly) You need to take care of yourself, give yourself some alone time, and some time with your friends, in order to be a great dad when you’re with your kids.
I hope the above mentioned must-do’s with kids helps in developing that great bond. Also, if you would like to read how to help a new dad to bond with his new-born,please click here.